The OCBS is launching its brand new initiative – an online Pali course that you can study at your own pace.
For those who are unable to attend the Pali Online School due to time commitments we are now offering the chance to learn Pali online at your comfort. Each level contains pre-recorded teachings, exercises and materials such as vocab lists that enable you to fit the learning around your everyday schedule.
Level 1 is now available, and the other levels will become available throughout the year.
Professor Gombrich will still be delivering the Pali Online School once a year for those who would like to work in an online live teaching environment.
For further details and to purchase the course click here. To keep up with developments in these courses please sign up to our mailing list.
Pali Level 1 – Now Available.
Watch the Introductory video
Students of Pāli Level 1 can expect to reach the following learning objectives:
• You will learn about the early history of Pāli, including the reasons why Pāli can be considered to be the language of the Buddha
• You will develop proficiency in the Pāli alphabet and sound system: you will learn how to read and pronounce Pāli correctly
• You will build up a foundational level of Pāli vocabulary
• Nouns: you will become adept in the system of nominal inflection
• Verbs: you will receive a comprehensive overview of the Pāli verbal system, and gain an advanced knowledge of present tense conjugations
• Pronouns: you will learn how to use the 1st, 2nd and 3rd person pronouns
• You will learn how the principle of concord works: how nouns/pronouns, adjectives and verbs connect to create meaning
• You will be introduced to difficult aspects of Pāli syntax, including various uses of the verb to be: the copula, its omission, apposition, statements of possession etc.
• You will be able to form and translate complex Pāli sentences
• You will understand the grammar of two important Pāli chants: homage to the Buddha, and going for refuge